So Many Thoughts

I always seem to have an opinion about something. Some things get me worked up, and I will tell anyone that will listen my passionate point of view. I rarely lose my temper, I just feel passion. I guess I have to feel that passion about a topic to want to express myself. I write to vent when I need to. Hopefully it won't be all negative stuff, just a place to collect my thoughts at the time. So this is not so much about my life but my personal thoughts about the world around me.

Tuesday, 15 May 2007

Capitalism, Me & Television

It's early morning and I am the only one awake. This is one of my favourite times because I get to think in peace. Two things are happening today of importance. One, I am giving into the capitalist world of satellite television, and two I have to go to uni today to plan the rest of my degrees (yeah, plural lol). I will write more on that after I have been to the meeting.

I have long resisted getting satellite tv because I don't really watch a lot of tv and have not felt it was a justified expense. My son has always wanted it but only to watch cartoons, so I think that was another reason I resisted.. and besides, I could always watch it at my mothers house when we visited there. So why the sudden change? Well it's not really sudden.. it was a good deal that the company lured me in to accept another claw of the capitalist lifestyle that creeps in and takes over your life. I love watching the documentaries, comedies, umm just about everything except sports really lol.. so yes, I gave in. I do feel bad because firstly, it's not a necessity - and I object to the many many people in NZ that really can't afford it, that send their kids to school without breakfast or lunch and then seem to be able to afford this luxury when they don't work. I also feel bad that it's a real luxury and the money could be better spent - on clothes, saved, even a vacation. I tell myself, it's just a trial, if I don't use it, I'll just cancel it. And I am also trying to appease my guilt by starting child sponsorship up again. I have been wanting to get my son to learn about giving to a child from the developing world for a while now.. so this presents the perfect time .. and yeah I see the irony in that.

So on the one hand I feel very excited to get something that I know will give our family a lot of joy, but on the otherhand, I do feel guilty about further entrenching myself in the pits of capitalism. So many people in so much debt these days because they think things are necessary.

No comments: